Thursday, November 15, 2012

Adolf Hitler = Jesus = Boy Scouts


            In my first post, I discussed, to some degree, my pre- and misconceptions about the nature of my work at the museum and the impact that it would have. However, I feel that it is entirely necessary to further address these issues, as they are rather complicated.

            I thought that I would be doing grand work, glorious work, which would somehow lead to fame and honor, and, more importantly, to being a large influence on the children. While it is true that I also thought that I would be advancing the human race, selfish desire for the aforementioned items played no small role in my decision to volunteer at the museum. I have a *bit* of a superiority complex, and what better way to be superior to the average individual than to control the minds of dozens of tiny, fourth grade, minions? Children are the future of our world, and so by controlling the children, I could control the world. All the effective leaders in history have used children to influence the future and/or do their bidding:



            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

            As it turned out, I didn’t get to work with the children directly at all, and so could not exert undue influence on their thought process, effectively defenestrating my ambitious ambitions.

            My grand scheme was ruined, but at least I got to help some kids have some “lulz”, and after all, isn’t that the purpose of life ( http://www.bookoflulz.blogspot.com)?

            In short, I was expecting to work with the kids and have some sort of grand influence to both increase my ego and help the world in a majestically impressive way, and with the children out of reach, my dreams vanished and my ego popped. I was left with nothing but dye-stained hands (from mixing color into the icing for the sugar skulls) and a vague sense of dissatisfaction.

But from the ashes of this horrendous defeat, I rebuilt.

Like Alexander the Great rebuilding Carthage from the ashes of the Roman sack, I cast the subject in a different light. What if it wasn’t a defeat, but a learning experience sent from OUR HOLY FATHER(http://www.biblegateway.com/), who chose to use his powers to help me grow as a person instead of killing Hitler or stopping World War III (in the future, of course; GOD works outside of time) because HE works in mysterious ways?

What I learned from this divine influence is that I don’t have to do great things to have a positive impact on the world. My experiences at the museum haven’t taught me any real skills, unless mixing disgusting icing in massive quantities can be considered one, but they have taught me to enjoy helping out in miniscule quantities.

I learned of my own internal selfishness from volunteering at the museum. The concept of volunteering is rather romanticized in modern media, with selfless and tireless citizens held up as paragons of moral supremacy and American exceptionalism. Given this, it came as a shock when I examined my reasons for volunteering and found among them selfish desires for recognition and control. This isn't a dramatic tale of how I overcame my baser and selfish human instincts, though. I still have those urges. But when I saw that those were the ONLY reasons that I was volunteering, I felt rather goofy, and when I examined what I was actually doing at the museum, I realized that I was doing something great after all, prompting me to rethink my thought process for doing service.

I feel that I am simply a better person for having spent my time volunteering at the Art After School program. My core philosophy on how to make an impact on the world radically shifted during my time there, and I can now go out in confidence and live a more fulfilling life. I know that this may sound like satirical crud, especially coming form me; however, I am being completely serious when I say these things. I really am an improved human being and have learned a lot from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment